Wednesday, July 11, 2007

God's small children

Eager to take everything that happens to me as God's grace, I stop to think, maybe, I have been taking it in a self-centered way, from the perspective of the present. When what seems good to me happens, I take it as God's grace with joy right away; but when what seems hard to take happens, I wonder why this is happening to me. "Me" is in the center, not God, in such a way of thinking. Even what seems bad to me for now might turn out good for someone whom I may know or not, or even for myself when I look back later.

Sometimes unwittingly, we put "us," "our community," or "our country" in the center in our pursuit of God's will and guidance. And we become so self-important or aggressive even in our gestures of "charity." We are so idolatrous in filling God's unknown face with what is familiar to us. Being humble is, maybe, leaving a space between what is knowable about God's will through our knowledge and experiences and the true face of Him: enduring and respecting the lack in our reasoning and knowing; welcoming those epiphanic moments of our puffed self being cracked through humbling revelations of our lack and weakness.

Truth is always larger than us. That's why we do and should remain small children of God.

1 comment:

Ryan & Melanie said...

Hey Seenhwa,

Wow, these are powerful words. You have spoken the truth. I guess that is why the Lord emphasises the need for us to "become as little children".

I need to learn that attitude daily.

keep posting,
Mel