Sunday, April 8, 2007

God's Ways

I'm so grateful to God that I was allowed to remember and reflect on the passion of Jesus Christ by having a personally hard time in Holy Week. Groaning with my heart crushed by the pain of being betrayed by my closest friend, I cannot even imagine what Jesus would have gone through with all our sins on him and when even God looked away from him. Celebrating the new life given by the resurrection of Jesus today, I feel I was lucky to have struggled through dark hours to appreciate what was given to me.

Anticipating the time of his suffering, Jesus said to his disciples, "Take heart! I have overcome the world." Yes, the curse of sin and death was broken forever when Jesus rose from his death. We died with him to sin! On Good Friday, suddenly, I was reminded of God's words I received exactly one year ago: "Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? (Isaiah 43:18-19)" Even after one year, wasn't I still living in bondage to my old ways, thoughts, and fear? Can't you give God the reins of your life?

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. God is challenging me how much I would trust Him. Saying I want to follow God, I was still insisting on my ways.

Pastor Bob said on his Easter sermon we only need to simply confess, simply believe, simply follow. We need no more than simple and weak faith to have eternal life. Not strong faith, which thinks it can make it itself.

Lord, let me take a step today to follow you. Guide me in your ways. Halleluya.

No comments: