Wednesday, January 17, 2007

God Listens!

I once wondered how I could reconcile my new self in God with my old self, feeling insecure about going back to my study of English Literature. Now, I see that the process of reading and thinking for my dissertation can be used to think and learn about knowing God, faith, and Church. Most of all, I have strength to go back! Isn't this God's grace? Yes, God listens.

'If anyone come to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple' (Luke 14:26)

Zizek explains this embarassing passage as a process of "unplugging." According to him, "hate" in this passage is a direct expression of Paulian "love" in that we cannot love others until we cut our family ties, ties to the organic community we are born into. Sometimes, our love for our own can blind our eyes. Someone once said, do not love God's gift more than God. Then, maybe, we can read Abraham's willing act to sacrifice Isaac from this perspective of unplugging. God's ultimate test: can you be alone with God and satisfied?

No comments: